We’ve found that most people in the market for a new bed compare spring mattress beds with memory foam mattresses. Both work in a unique fashion and have important advantages but neither is spared from drawbacks. Here are the most important disadvantages but, let’s look at the benefits first.
You can use our mattress comparison tool to compare 5 types of mattresses side-by-side.
Advantages of Visco Elastic Foam Mattresses
- Relieves pressure and enhances deep sleep by reducing pressure points, increasing comfort level and reducing night time movement by as much as 90%.
- Conforms precisely to your body, distributes weight, improves circulation, and allows your blood to flow more freely.
- Has the ability to react to body temperature, softening accordingly.
- You don’t sink right through a high-density memory foam mattress nor do you risk bottoming out.
- The foam dampens shock and absorbs the motion.
- Lifespan of 10-20 years, depending on the manufacturer.
Advantages of Spring Mattress Beds
- Good spinal alignment when sleeping on your back
- Good back support for pocket spring models
- It doesn’t necessarily need a foundation
- Easy maintenance
Drawbacks of Visco Elastic Mattresses
- High-quality memory foam mattresses like Tempur-Pedic are quite expensive.
- Responds with stiffness when you quickly lie down or throw yourself onto the mattress like you would do when you were a kid.
- Can get uncomfortably warm during sleep.
- Because of the melting weightlessness feeling it induces, memory foam requires an adjustment period.
- May have a strong odor when new.
Drawbacks of Spring Mattress Beds
- Wire not resistant enough. The mattress may begin to sag and a lump may appear in the center of the bed in 1-2 years (even the best of mattresses become impossible to sleep on after around 5 years).
- The pressure exerted by springs causes back pain, numbness, and tiredness in the morning, plus lots of tossing and turning during sleep.
- Has to be flipped and turned head to toe every few months to maintain its shape
- It is very heavy and thick, so it’s difficult to set up and move
The deal with a spring mattress is that they have a definite lifespan. Those springs are going to uncoil, and come sticking through the padding at some point. groups.google.com/group/misc.consumers.frugal
The divet in the middle of the bed is like falling in the grand canyon and with having my lowest vertebrae fused to my sacrum I just can’t handle the sinking of the hips (major pain).
One new development attacks the old adage that “firmer is better,” Those experts are not otherwise identified. However, a 2003 Spanish study of people with lower back pain revealed that medium-firmness mattresses help back sufferers more than hard mattresses, something to bear in mind if you have an occasional achy back. www.consumersearch.com/www/house_and_home/mattress-reviews/review.html
The only plain coil mattress and box spring mattress we had was our least favorite. It was a good one, but didn’t last that well, and never was as comfortable as the previous foam, and later waterbed. I would never go to a box spring and coil mattress again. groups.google.com/group/sci.med.transcription