We’ve found that many people in the market for a new bed compare magnetic mattress beds with memory foam mattresses. Magnetic mattresses are supposed to work in a unique fashion and could have advantages but it’s certainly not spared from drawbacks. Here are the most important disadvantages but, let’s look at the benefits first.
You can use our mattress comparison tool to compare 5 types of mattresses side-by-side.
Advantages of Visco Elastic Foam Mattresses
- Relieves pressure and enhances deep sleep by reducing pressure points, increasing comfort level, and reducing night time movement by as much as 90%.
- Conforms precisely to your body, distributes weight, improves circulation and allows your blood to flow more freely.
- Has the ability to react to body temperature, softening accordingly.
- You don’t sink right through a high-density memory foam mattress nor do you risk bottoming out.
- The foam dampens shock and absorbs the motion.
- The lifespan of 10-20 years, depending on the manufacturer.
Advantages of Magnetic Mattresses
- May reduce bone, joint and muscle pain
- Improves circulation
- Promotes relaxation
Drawbacks of Visco Elastic Mattresses
- High-quality memory foam mattresses like Tempur-Pedic are quite expensive.
- Responds with stiffness when you quickly lie down or throw yourself onto the mattress like you would do when you were a kid.
- Can get uncomfortably warm during sleep.
- Because of the melting weightlessness feeling it induces, memory foam requires an adjustment period.
- May have a strong odor when new.
Drawbacks of Magnetic Beds
- It is doesn’t offer the comfort necessary for quality sleep.
- Cannot be used by pregnant women, small babies, people wearing a pacemaker or other electronic implants
- No back support, spinal alignment, and pressure point reducing
- Short life span (the cushioning fibers or foam break in a few months time)
Save your money on the magnetic part of the mattress and go buy yourself a good quality mattress that will give you whatever level of support your DOCTOR recommends you need for your condition.
I have a magnetic mattress pad on my bed, and the mattress pad contains 400 domino-size strong magnets and weighs 35 pounds. As long as I can sleep at home on my magnetic mattress pad, many of the aches and pains that I once had have disappeared.
I’ve slept on a magnetic sleep pad for the past few years due to pains from arthritis in both hips and chronic low back pain…..also wasn’t sleeping well. I would wake up like an absolute cripple in the a.m., all hunched over and it would take me a good 2 minutes or so to straighten up. My experience has changed drastically since I started sleeping on the pad.
I started sleeping on a magnetic mattress about a year ago after I’d experienced such relief with magnetic insoles in my shoes. I thought that it was a bunch of hoodoo voodoo at first when I was first approached about using this modality. I thought that i knew a lot about alternative and complementary medicine but was a real novice in the magnetic energy field. I can tell you that over a month or two I realized that I couldn’t/wouldn’t sleep w/o the mattress and have a smaller one that I take with me when I travel. Like the insoles, I noticed the benefit over time, not an immediate earth shattering experience.
The mattress feels firm, but in a pleasant way. Because it molds, its firmness is a softened firmness. And by the way, it molds, it doesn’t sink. It is perfect support and comfort for me.