Latex and viscoelastic foam mattresses are certainly the latest and most modern sleeping surfaces today. The success of visco elastic foam is due, in most part, to sustained marketing campaigns by Tempur-Pedic but, as we will find in a minute, latex foam also has some advantages definitely worth mentioning.
You can use our mattress comparison tool to compare 5 types of mattresses side-by-side.
Advantages of Visco Elastic Foam Mattress Technology
- Relieves pressure and enhances deep sleep by reducing pressure points, increasing comfort level, and reducing night time movement by as much as 90%.
- Conforms precisely to your body, distributes weight, improves circulation, and allows your blood to flow more freely.
- Has the ability to react to body temperature, softening accordingly.
- You don’t sink right through a high-density visco elastic mattress nor do you risk bottoming out.
- The foam dampens shock and absorbs motion.
- Lifespan of 10-20 years, depending on the manufacturer.
Advantages of Latex Foam Mattresses
- Good conformity and total body support.
- Good air circulation.
- Pressure relief, resulting in less tossing and turning.
- Adjustable comfort and firmness .
- Great life span of 20-25 years.
- Environmentally friendly (more than 90% of its prime matter is natural rubber).
- No need to be flipped.
- Can be customized in layers, according to your preferences.
- Comfort and support even in colder environments.
- Create your own customer Mattress.Get the Latex Mattress right for you
Drawbacks of Viscoelastic Mattresses
- High quality visco elastic foam mattresses like Tempur-Pedic are quite expensive.
- They respond with stiffness when you quickly lie down or throw yourself onto the mattress like you would do when you were a kid.
- Can get uncomfortably warm during sleep.
- Because of the melting weightlessness feeling it induces, memory foam requires an adjustment period.
- May have a strong odor when new.
Drawbacks of Latex Mattress Foam
- Quite heavy and difficult to move.
- Not recommended for people with latex and chemical allergies.
- May have an unpleasant smell when new.
- High-quality Talalay latex may get expensive.
- Latex Mattress Factory Direct link
I had a latex mattress on my bunk bed as a kid and it still remains for me the standard of wonderful comfort against which all other mattresses are judged. Thirty years later it still seems just as good. I presume they breathe, since it’s not a smooth surface, has airholes.
We’ve had our latex mattress now about a month and really love it. There really is a difference not having those springs pushing back at you.
I have owned this mattress a year and a half and I will NEVER go back to a spring mattress ever! I love foam, and memory foam is the best of the foam mattresses.
The best sleep we’ve both had in a long time. I had chronic back aches in the morning for the past 7 years sleeping on our old mattresses. The Latex mattress (and we also purchased some Latex pillows) has been a God-send. Both my wife and I are sleeping longer and better, and wake up feeling less achy and more rested.