Is Memory Foam Good For Sex?
Deciding which type of mattress is best is a difficult task. Allergy potential, lifespan, maintenance, back support, and comfort are all very important when making a decision.
But there’s another factor to consider, equally important but less discussed openly among consumers: is a visco memory foam mattress good for having sex? The best way to decide that is by going through a home mattress trial.
Visco memory foam mattress technology is great because it provides good spinal support, reduces tossing and turning during sleep, is firm, yet cushioning, has a lifespan of more than 10 years, and requires little maintenance. Sounds like a great mattress, despite its high price. Consider this scenario, though.
Let’s say you are in a stable relationship, having a perfectly healthy sexual life. You decide to buy a Tempur-Pedic mattress, you pay for it, bring it home, set it up, and get your first night’s sleep on it. Wow, everything seems to work perfectly. Until the next night.
When you first have sex with your partner on the new Tempurpedic mattress you realize something is not working quite as it should. The truth is that viscoelastic foam has a unique feel that makes sex different. There is also a chance you will not be able to enjoy sex on it as you did on other mattresses. This is what you should know about having sex on a memory foam mattress (or memory foam topper):
Benefits of Having Sex On Memory Foam
- One of the advantages of making love on a Tempur Pedic mattress is the fact that you will be able to practice all kinds of contorted positions without fearing that one of your legs will go numb. Since memory foam contours your body, there will be no uncomfortable position caused by pressure points to keep you from letting your imagination run wild.
- Have you seen those old American comedies where a stupid teenager tries to secretly have sex with an older girl, but the bed makes so much noise that the whole neighborhood can hear their every move? Well, let’s just say that if they were making love on a Tempur Pedic mattress, no squeaking sound would have left the teenager’s bedroom.
An innerspring bed bounces back at you, helping you acquire rhythm and speed. But it also wastes a lot of your energy and effort: you push down, the mattress pushes back, not letting you get close to your partner, so you have to push harder and harder every time just to feel like you’re going all the way in.
- Memory foam mattresses can help with this because it has absolutely no bounce, so all your effort and energy is put to good use.
- Since the Visco foam contours your partner’s body, he (or she) will be ‘gripped, trapped’ in the mattress and won’t move around with your every thrust.
- Grinding techniques work better on a Tempur-Pedic style mattress because of the friction provided by the foam. You won’t need to anchor yourself to the bed or push against the headboard to make sure you enjoy every move.
Drawbacks of Having Sex On Memory Foam
- Memory foam mattresses offer traction and temperature responsiveness. Your body temperature gets higher while having sex, so your mattress will match that ‘hot’ feeling with some additional softness (memory foam softens in warmer environments). There are, of course, people who think that this contouring property leads to a ‘marshmallow’, sand moving feeling that can kill the romantic mood.
There are other reasons for which people say that memory foam mattresses like Tempurpedic are not the perfect mattress to have sex on:
- Viscoelastic memory foam does not encourage mobility: for example, when you put your knee on the mattress, it sinks through and your weight leans towards that side, making it difficult to move freely. So if you are a young, energetic couple who likes to roll around in bed, memory foam is definitely not for you!
As you can see, the way sex feels on a Tempur Pedic foam mattress is a very personal thing. So don’t make any decisions just by listening or reading other people’s opinions. Do a home trial and find out if you (and your partner) like the feeling. Even if you do sleep great on a memory foam mattress, the fact that you cannot make love on it is a serious problem that deserves consideration.
Best Mattress for Sex
Read more at Visco Foam Mattress Reviews